© 2001-2024
Man From Mars Productions

obg logo


Friday, November 22, 2002, 2:41:50PM


I was told to get in touch with you by Dave Nagel. My name is Ric Santos. I noticed I was not included on your list of WDRC alumns. I worked weekends at WDRC AM from 1986-1987. I even did a retro feature called "The Time Machine" while I was there that Dave produced. Glenn Colligan was the AM PD at the time. I am now PD and air talent at "The Oldies Channel" from Westwood One in LA. I also serve as a sort of consultant for WDRC-FM. Let me know what you need from me so that I may be included on your site. It's a very, very interesting site too. It brings back alot of memories. Look forward to hearing from you soon.

Ric Santos (e-mail)



Sunday, October 13, 2002, 11:55:32AM

Hi Ed:

I have emailed you a couple times before, but I have to do it again.

I am turn 19 years old in mid November and have been a WDRC-FM listener all 19 years of my life and have loved every minute of it. I remember alot of personalities in those 19 years that aren't around any more. I'm good friends with Marc Sommers and a couple other guys.

I remember alotta contests they held..remember the contest where they would call out two intials and you had to be the 2nd caller, and you'd win a key that MIGHT start a car? Well, they called out my intials and I was the first caller..darn!!! Oh well, maybe next time!!

Even though I'm only 19, I remember so much about such a great station.......everyone there does a good job. "MIke & Beth In The Morning" are hysterically funny, they work very well together..Larry keeps you on your toes, Doug does a great job bringing you home form work...and Jack, well, he's Jack..he's great too!

I also think there two people who should be recognized for what they do around there, one person being Ron Sedaille..he's a great guy..has alots of talent, and energy..plus he has fun on the air, and I always enjoy listening to him on "All Request Saturday Night."

The next person I speak of is Chris Ryan...he's a great guy too...he has a great voice, I hear him doing commercials all the time and has some great talent behind him!! Everyone at DRC-Fm does a great job!! Everytime I visit your website it brings back memories...:) Well, thanks Ed for your time...keep up the great work!

Walker Kelly (e-mail)



Saturday, September 21, 2002, 2:31:52AM

as a kid, i heard wdrc the first day it became "fun radio". i listened to it for years, but then began listening to wpop. eventually went back to wdrc. as i remember it, there was a real dog fight between the two stations in the early 60s. i was from windsor, home of the wildweeds, who got a lot of help and promotion from the big d. i used to hang out at the macdonalds on windsor av. where we all sat with the car windows open playing wdrc. i visited ken griffin at wpop one night during his shift. i was scared stupid but he made me talk on the air. it was magic. (i guess i was easily impressed) went to a couple of the big record sales that wdrc had out behind the bloomfield building. still have several "promo" copies that i bought in about '62.

anyway, i just spent an hour looking at the site and can't tell you how much i appreciate reading all of the stories about all of the names i used to know, including bertha, ken griffin, joey reynolds, and of course ron landry. remember when he used to play a bickerson's cut every morining at (i think) 9:15? as i had recall ken griffin got into some trouble while there, but i didn't see it mentioned. since this history/site is so comprehensive, i may well be mistaken. again, thanks. i'll be back. just great.

jerry silver (e-mail)

now of minneapolis, mn.



Friday, September 20, 2002, 12:05:40PM


Thank you for the information on Ron. He was such an enormous talent! My Dad loved working with him. And he was so proud of his accomplishments after he left the "BIG D". He spoke of him fondly and often. He was one of the first D.J.'s I remember growing up with. I recall that he was constantly working on new "bits", and writing them down on everything... Napkins, placemats, etc.! The last time I saw Ron and Margo was at Wayne Mulligan's house for the "BIG D" 35th Reunion. They looked great! Ron was wearing a Safari jacket. He looked like the ultra cool California Dude. The amazing thing was that he recognized my sister Kathy and me. He hadn't seen us since the 60's. The Radio World has lost a Great One....But you can be sure that my Dad is thrilled to have Ron back on the air with him in "Rock & Roll Heaven"...#1 For Radio Fun!

Steve Parker (e-mail)



Wednesday, September 18, 2002, 8:21:06PM

Dear Ed,

Fate is a remarkable thing! Well over a year ago, Ron, Margo my wife and I had a reunion one wonderful Sunday afternoon here in Los Angeles. Also present was their beautiful daughter Veronica who lives outside of LA. I distinctly remember bringing Margo to the hospital the night Veronica was born... ..We shared so much and had so many laughs over the real beginnings of WDRC as a personality oriented music station...That lineup was dynamite with Ron, myself, Kurt Russell and Jim Raynor holding down the fort with the promotional genius of Charlie Parker tying it all together...The memories are vast and the sadness at the passing of Ron is almost too painful to deal with. We did so many record hops together whether it be the old Crystal Ballroom or a high school...Lunches and dinners with Bertha Porter and her record promoting friends...generally a time not as troubled or complex as today. Rons' humor on radio was always tasteful and squeaky clean as he felt no need to "go over the line"...His talent went beyond that. He was as hard working and dedicated as anyone I'd ever worked with. Although he was very succesfull back east, the day I turned around and saw his face, just in from Boston, in my studio at KFI in Los Angeles...that marked the beginning of his greatest successes...He was there to audition at another station in LA and the rest is history....I'll miss him greatly..Thanks to your fine efforts we'll be able taste his artistry for years to come...

Jerry Bishop (e-mail)



Tuesday, September 17, 2002, 8:09:04PM


Thank you for this page to share our personal thoughts and for giving me the space to make an honorable apology to Ron Landry for not recognizing his subtle genius in his non aggressive behavior when I was attacking him in the early days of top 40 radio. In the later years Ron and I rejoined in L.A. and had a mutual friend named Lew Bedell who also was a wonderful comic mentor and the host of the Hudson & Landry Record collection. Lew, Ron, and I collaborated on a video/cd project with Mike Dorrough, the inventor of the Dorrough meter, on a parody of Howard Stern, called "Howard Worm". Ron wrote it and it was wonderfully silly.

This is to the children of Ron; Thank you GOD for the goodness of this lovely creative man and for the load he carried so that ours might be made lighter. I am sad and in my belief, sadness is but a wall between two gardens. I will miss your daddy.


joey reynolds (e-mail)



Tuesday, September 17, 2002, 5:44:32PM

Joey Reynolds forwarded your note. Hate to see the passing of another great personality.

Claude Hall (e-mail)



Tuesday, September 17, 2002, 4:31:34PM

WOW-your WDRC site is something else. As an update to my bio, I programmed 1groove.com for Iceberg Media.com from 2000-2002. I am now concentrating on voice over work, still DJing at nightclubs under the name "Dr. Trance," and own a tanning salon in the Toronto suburb of Brampton.

Thanks for sending me the news about Ron Landry. He was definitely an influence on my career.

I also don't know if I ever thanked you for the airchecks you sent several years ago. I was shocked to hear how bad I sounded on 'DRC...but I was impressed at how much potential Charlie Parker must have heard to hire me.

Now if I could only get tapes of my infamous chow closings at 'KB....

All the best to you...

Don Berns (aka Dr. Trance) (e-mail)



Tuesday, September 17, 2002, 2:31:34PM

Dear Loved Ones:

Dad has been fighting lung cancer for the past year. He passed away last night surrounded by his family and closest friends. Just as he lived his life, he handled his death with dignity and grace. After a full day in a coma, he found the strength to become alert and to lovingly connect with Margo as he peacefully ended his stay on this earth. A true spiritual gift.

Our father was a very wise man. He had some sage advise that we will live by and hope to pass on to all that we can. He said that if he had one wish for humanity, it would be that everyone just be a little kinder, kinder to everyone and mostly to yourself.

If you feel compelled to do something, do something kind for a loved one or yourself . He loved flowers, cashmere socks, gardens, gin, fine cabernet, travel, 300 count sheets, oversized Turkish towels....luxurious items. Treat yourself to celebrate the memory of our father.

We all love him so very much. His spirit will live on in our hearts forever.

Veronica, Evan and Eriki Landry (e-mail Ron's wife, Margo)



Tuesday, September 17, 2002, 8:49:42AM

Thank you for an outstanding page. Good reading and information on many of my favorite radio personalities. Any contact info for Barry Grant in Manchester?

Regards, Jack once known as Pico Fenelli on the Grant's Tomb show 1974-1975 (e-mail)

Ed's reply: Does anyone have fresh contact info for Barry Grant?



Wednesday, August 21, 2002, 7:23:32PM

Hi Ed!

I enjoy checking in on this amazing site from time to time. Your information is so extensive! What a great website for our station to have.

I thought I'd provide you with a little of my own background, as I head into my 6th year on the air at WDRC.

My broadcast career in Connecticut began in 1991 at WSNG AM 610 in Torrington. After 3 years there, I began broadcasting parttime at WTIC AM 1080, anchoring news. For a while, I was working at both stations. I joined WDRC as News Director of the AM and FM in May of 1997, and was promoted to full time morning show co-host of DRC-FM in 1999. It's an honor to be working at such a heritage station! Thanks for your devotion to DRC!


Beth Bradley (e-mail)



Friday, August 16, 2002, 5:47:46PM

I grew up in Hartford and found your site a blast. Thanks for all the research and all the work it took to put it together.

Steve (e-mail)



Friday, August 9, 2002, 7:07:26PM

I am writing to inquire about a show I believed was called "Connecticut bandstand" much like the very popular American bandstand of teenagers dancing and music groups. I believe my father John Brett was a regular on the show and would love to be able to surprise him with footage. I have no idea if I am in the right place, but this is a shot in the dark and was hoping maybe someone would have knowledge of the show and can guide me further.

Thank you for your efforts.

Allison Gibson (e-mail)



Wednesday, August 7, 2002, 10:36:48AM


Just a quick note to let you know that I'm now living in the Houston area. I moved here as a result of my wife getting a terrific promotion with her company. I'm just starting to send out inquiries to see if there's something for me to do locally, and I'm upgrading my computer and in-home equipment to maybe do some voice work. Still in love with radio after all these years.

Your site is one of the best, Ed. Great memories of a legendary radio station.

Bob DeCarlo (e-mail)



Monday, July 15, 2002, 8:31:04PM

Hi Ed,

Here's a quick update: I'm currently VP/GM of Oldies 106.5 WMEX in Rochester, NH and still occasionally do a fill in shift on DRC-FM.

Gary James (e-mail)

PS: The site gets better every time I look at it. Great job!



Friday, June 21, 2002, 10:09:48PM

Wow, things remembered! You don't know what you're asking for.

Bob Coe in the recording studio creating "The Secret Sound". One of the most difficult was simply turning over a wet sponge. Jim Nettleton in the recording studio splicing into his newscast air check (complete with background teletype) a story about the price of a Hawaiian lei going up and tourists complaining about being screwed. Then leaving the air check for Charlie Parker, pretty funny. Ron Landry breaking up Joe Barbarette? during a morning newscast by playing in the background an "a-huh" for each sport score until Joe got to the one where it was something like Yankees 16, Milwaukee 2 whereupon Ron played the famous "NO!" Joe couldn't continue, I played a jingle and on we went. I remember Bertha, at all hours, lifting the arm of the turntable on to the record and listening for no more than 5-10 seconds to most songs before going on to the next one.

I remember having to play the "pool side" tape whenever Dick Robinson's mic was on during the weekend "pool side" show and how he had to pretend to go into a phone booth (and turn the tape off) to do a contest and how many kids thought we were really at a pool. I remember him getting nailed live on the "Banana song". And once on a request. We had an agreement that either of us could cut off a live phone request at any time, no questions asked (and no delay). And that more than once we got it right.

I remember a gentleman named Dick Pace and a weekend super nice guy name Chip Thompson and a guy named Sandy who gave a whole new meaning to hypochondriac by spraying the microphone with Lysol every time he entered the studio. I remember "Ricky". If you knew Ricky, you'd remember her too.

I remember someone (it might have been Wayne, I don't think it was me) cranking the volume on the intro to a song that started with a thunder bolt and blowing the main modulation transformer so badly it blew relays and fuses so far back down the line that the tower grounding relay fired and prevented us, for a while, from getting the standby transmitter on the air. I think Ted Hitchcock and I drove to Southern NJ to get a replacement transformer (waaaay before FedEx). Before we left, Ted actually got the 5KW transmitter back on with a very clever trick. I'm not sure he was as appreciated as he deserved to be.

I remember the famous "fun dials", invented because without them the Hartford phone system would simply freeze up when we had a contest where you could win the stupendous amount of $13.60! There was a fun dial in the control room of WTIC. More than a few friends got together and exchanged fun dial numbers and names, so you could have 5 or 10 Sue Jones' with fun dial 499 calling on one contest. Whatever number and name was in the valid range (1-300, 301-600, etc.) they'd all use and call.

I remember Long John (I think) starting the Number 1 song (which had a long instrumental intro) and five seconds into the song, starting the Number 1 jingle (And now, W-D-R-C, first on the air in ......1-1-1-1-1-!!!") timed to fade just as the words of the song began. To describe Charlie Parker as livid is a bit of an understatement.

I remember Long John (for sure) insisting that if something (anything) ended in music the next thing had to be talk and vice versa. So a voice commercial had a jingle unless the next commercial started with music. It was quite a game, especially with sponsors who had both kinds and had them on an extended cartridge tape. We ended up writing in ball point pen ON THE TAPE a number and putting a cue sheet on the cartridge that identified what spot was about to come up.

I remember Bill Crawford working FOREVER to get Cadillac as a sponsor and finally succeeding. Then the young lady in traffic screwed up and they didn't run and Cadillac wouldn't accept make-goods and the young lady was toast.

I remember playing 15 or so minutes of music and jingles just after sign on waiting for Ron Landry to finally make it to work, then turning around and noticing that it was 9 AM. God his shows went fast. After working with Ron, the hardest part of the job was working with the non drive time when you could do it in your sleep and time dragged forever. I made more mistakes in non drive time then I ever did with all chaos surrounding Ron.

I remember the story of Ron working on his next bit while Wayne was at the controls. The song on the air was, "The men in my little girls life", which ends with, "Thanks dad.....Bless you dad......Goodnight Dad." After the "Thanks dad" Wayne surprised Rod by playing the sneeze tape! Ron fell out of his chair laughing, was unable to get it together and frantically pointed at Wayne to play something. Wayne turned on Ron's mic and pointed back.

And, of course, the NorthEast Blackout. Long John was on the air, I was on the board when the FM alarm went off about 5 PM. I spun the FM remote control and got nothing that made any sense, said the heck with it who listens to FM anyway, this is drive time, take care of business. (It turns out that the major AC power feed to New England comes thru Meriden, thus FM failed first). Turned around and resumed working with Long John and looked at him and said, "Are the lights getting dimmer in here?" Looked at the AM Power Meter and over the next 5-10 minutes watched it slowly drop as the power stations between Meriden and Hartford slowly failed trying to supply the overload. Finally, AM too went off the air. Waited a bit for the generator to come on, it didn't. Turns out it was the first cold day of the season and the generator's oil heaters had been disconnected for the summer, so the starter ground down the battery but never started the engine.

I went into the office area and put what office staff we had on the phones, one to a line. The phones worked, they just didn't ring or light up. The staff spent the next half hour, picking up the phone, talking to a listener, putting the phone down, counting all the way up to 1, then picking up the phone and repeating the loop. I used the private line to call a wrecker who came and got the generator going and we went back on the air with our 1 kW backup transmitter. Meanwhile the news guys were calling around and had reasonable info that the problem was a New York and New England one. But we still didn't know if a bomb had dropped!!

Got a call on the private line from Wayne Mulligan who said that, "Springfield has gone on EBS." In those days that was a VERY scary message (i.e.. the BOMB). After all, our teletype had been down as well, so had our "EBS" receiver tuned to WTIC. After 10-15 minutes of frantic trying I finally got thru to the station in Springfield. Their response was, "Well, it's an emergency isn't it." Unfortunately, disembowelment is a difficult thing to accomplish over a phone.

Eventually we went back up to 5 kW, stayed on the air all night instead of going off at 1 AM. Thanks to the news guys and our relationships with WNEW and the Buckley-Jaeger (or allied) stations in St. Louis and California (perhaps elsewhere), we had good information reasonably fast. I remember that someone went out and bought hamburgers (perhaps at Friendly's) and many of those and many of the staff were still around in the morning.

Dave Delage (e-mail)



Friday, June 7, 2002, 11:41:36AM




MATT (e-mail)



Wednesday, May 15, 2002, 9:54:00PM


Pete Ross's also used the name was Gary Peters. He was Gary Almeida.

I worked as a tech from 74 to 77. I have a good deal of 'stuff' from those years, including a mint copy of one of the better jingle packages.

If your looking for anything, let me know.

George Dombrowski (e-mail)



Tuesday, April 9, 2002, 3:23:22PM

Great site. I grew up with DRC in the 60s brings back really nice memories. Many thanks!

Dfinch2002@aol.com (e-mail)



Tuesday, April 9, 2002, 11:16:56AM


This coming Thursday, April 11th, marks Brad Davis' 25th anniversary on WDRC-AM. As you'll recall, he started out playing music & then gradually evolved into a talk show host. It's unfortunate I can't pick up the 1360 frequency here in Bridgeport-Do you happen to know if the station is planning any sort of tribute to Brad?

Scott Burton (e-mail)



Saturday, April 6, 2002, 8:17:59AM


Just ran a nostalgic trip into the past with some of the guys I worked with in the biz. Great site!

Was doing a session in New York, when the owner punched up your site...Flashed back for a bit.

It was a pleasure.......... regards,

Al Gates (e-mail)

Supplemental April 8, 2002:

I'm still in New York (living in Wilton, Ct. for the past 27 years. Still doing commercials, just finished a film on Bill Clinton For Newsweek, and a series on History Channel, with Sandir Vanokur on America's Classics. Plenty of Political races (Clinton, Gore, and this year alot of races for Governors and Senators) Still doing cartoons for Cartoon Network, and Hanna Barbera. Still doing promos for HBO, NBC, CNBC, etc.

Can't take the old jock out of the business. It's fun doing what you like.

Regards, Al


  Charlie Parker - 1969

Memories of Charlie

Charlie Parker's son, Steve, is compiling a collection of stories involving his Dad, the longtime program director of WDRC. If you'd like to participate, please drop Steve an e-mail.


Sunday, March 17, 2002, 2:41:12AM

Mr Brouder:

I just discovered your teriffic web site! Just amazing.

I grew up in New Britain. At age 15, I made my first radio appearance on WDRC. I was a guest disc jockey on Jim Raynor's Sunday night show. That started it.

At age 16, with the help of my neighbor, Hermie Dressell, I began working, part-time, as a disc jockey at WHAY Radio in New Britain. But I grew up listening to WDRC. Hermie was, at that time, a promotions man for Mercury Records. I would often travel him as he made his rounds to radio stations. We stopped many times at WDRC, where Hermie would bug Bertha Porter to play his records.

I've spent 30-years in television news, eight of them as a correspondent with ABC based here in Atlanta and London. Now, I'm back in radio, as a reporter for CBS News.

No doubt, WDRC had a tremendous influence on my career. Especially it's great news department (Al Fletcher, Joe Barberette) I really appreciate your web site. I'll be back to visit often.


Bob Sirkin, Atlanta (e-mail)

P.S. One thing I forgot to mention. Gene Anthony introduced my wife to me in 1968, while I was working at Channel 30. I was very sorry to read about Gene's death.



Saturday, March 9, 2002, 4:12:12PM

Dear Ed,

I did the Bacon & Fay Show on WDRC until my partner had an unfortunate nervous breakdown. Bob Bacon was a very talented, likeable partner. It was all quite a while ago, but a fun period. My college life (Trinity) was cut short in its first year when Dad had a heart attack. I left classes and went to work to help out at home, and wound up enrolling in Broadcast Journalism courses at Randall in Hartford. People had been telling me I sounded like one of the announcers on an area station and asking why I wasn't on the air. The inquiry I finally made led to classes and I won a class audition exercise to be able to audition for a slot at WHAY.

But to get to WDRC material, I remember an evening when I heard an Emile Deltour number on that station, I think it was "Siesta in Sevilla" and it sounded so fine that I thought I might like to be part of that aircrew.

When I phoned Charlie Parker he suggested I drop in and have a talk, which was a pleasure. Charlie told me they were thinking of doing round-the-clock shows. I was impressed, since they had been the state's premiere CBS affiliate for years. He said I could come aboard hosting their midnight to six show, an easy workload, so I took it. My Engineer was "Lucky" Luckingham, a retired Bird Colonel who had commanded an Alaska bomb group for SAC. (His son, also SAC, was doing practice bomb runs down the Connecticut River on Hartford at the time, a point of minor interest.)

When Charlie found that Richard Dimes Buckley and John W. Jaeger, who were selling WNEW in NYC and negotiating to buy WDRC he began feeling me out about doing a morning show. I had been covering the morning news show "Newstime" (7-7:30 am) for Leif Jensen. Leif was a prodigious talent who had been the youngest Network announcer, I think out of New Haven. He was now living in Wethersfield, CT and a good man. I nicknamed him "the striking Viking." (Later Leif worked at WINF under John Demme, who was deep in concern about staffing costs. Demme had just given Leif his notice when a staffer from, I think WHDH, [Ed's note: actually WNAC] Boston called Leif while passing through. It seems Leif didn't know how to run the Control Board, so could not hold down regular news-and-music shifts, so Demme wanted more utility for his dollars. Anyhow, the man hired Leif when they met and he was off to much better money in that market. We lost track of him after that. (Incidentally, John Demme may be the father of Director Jonathan Demme if what I hear is correct).

Charlie had also recently hired announcer Bob Bacon as the station's copy writer. He told me Bob had suffered a series of nervous breakdowns, which may have caused his leaving WTIC, the Travelers big 50,000 watt station. Charlie thought Bob's loss of his father at an early age had been a terrible shock to which he had never fully adjusted. Well, at least Bob was a funny guy who kept them laughing in the office and Charlie decided I was the one staffer who might be able to work with him. Bob was a likeable person, so we were soon kicking ideas around, and the following Monday we had set up characters and situations we would try out.

Bob's favorite characters were Stanley O. Stanley, the world's greatest plumber, (an Ed Norton-ish type) and the Man From the Agency, a very bureaucratic stuffed-shirt type. They were gems. My alter egos were Werner von Luftpost, the sometimes bombastic elevator operator ("on my elevator, everyone flies! Coffee, donuts, sundries, and the world's only elevator with its own swimming pool!") I was also Pierre Le Bret, the show's so-called orchestra leader. Pierre was fascinated by wine and women. He was a fun character. I was also Killarney Barney at times and occasionally a Brit named Throckmorton.

We ran from 6 to 10 mornings, then headed for Bob's place in Bloomfield to decide what our characters would face the following morning. However, it developed that on arrival Bob's good wife had a full pitcher of Martinis ready. I quickly found that while I was struggling to make my way through one, Bob would finish the whole pitcher. Then I had to crawl the next 10 miles or so to get home in Windsor Locks again.

Needless to say, martinis may have been good for Bob, but my body did not handle them. When I switched to going straight home after work and doing our planning by phone, my phone bills climbed, but my system worked better.

I began to realize that there were problems whenever I'd go from the Studio to the WDRC kitchen to refill my coffee mug. I had been playing records since 1950, so was well aware of the timing of most our music. Bob had never worked with recorded music in that way, so he would panic while a recording was only 30 or 40 seconds into a number and be hollering that we were out of time through the kitchen door. But that's inside and old.

Among mornings, when Saskia de Lange, the Dutch Tulip Queen was in town she brought us tulip bulbs to plant outside. God Bless him, Bob tried to plant his upside down! She asked us what size socks we wore and in due time sent us genuine wooden shows from Holland.

When Mayflower II came to the states, Gem Mayflower was a big sponsor and brought Warwick Charlton in for an interview. Cal "the Colonel" Kolby got to do the interview and then we all go together for and extended coffee bash (tea for Charlton).

Bacon and I had a sold solid run for the show, and Buckley & Jaegar were impressed. But Bob panicked when John W. Jaeger presented us with one of his famous 3-year contracts. Since I had worked on renewal of an AFTRA contract earlier at WONS (Mutual) I was a bit suspicious of this one, because we would have belonged to Buckley & Jaeger, lock, stock and barrel. Bob was sweating profusely when we looked it over after a show. So I said I'd see what I could do with it over the weekend. That seemed to cool things down.

Just for the hell of it, I decided to hand John Jaeger and Richard Dimes Buckley a shock, so I re-worded the contract so that our salaries were doubled, a month of vacation was included for each of us and a few other little items I thought might stop them in their tracks. Jaeger, I had been told, was an ace at writing contracts that made co-signers his complete subjects. I figured he'd blow his stack, think first of firing us and maybe then think of the revenues we were bringing in.

When I showed it to Bob, he was sure it would be torn up immediately. What we didn't know was that (a) B & J had been paying their people much more in NYC, and (b) they were figuring on using the show at (I think) a chain or 4 or 5 stations they planned to use outside the NYC market. So Jaeger actually liked the deal I had proposed and told Charlie it looked very good.

But Bob apparently was edging toward another nervous breakdown. I know we were both tired after a long series of 20-hour days, and it was almost a small feeling of relief when he told me he was just coming apart.

When we told Parker, Charlie naturally wondered if they could find me a guy to replace Bob, but I didn't think that would work. Bob was too fine a talent, one of the best voices in the market, and he'd been a good friend. So I told Charlie that we'd have to go out together.

Good man that he was, Charlie managed to provide a healthy severance for us both. Then he did what I had never heard of a station doing, which was to let us know our release date. That just wasn't done. Too many announcers had used such a thing to air their wet laundry on the air and make their employers look bad. So we had been blessed and were able to give our best efforts right up until the final show.

Later, when Bob had recovered he began a series of Ad Agencies, and I was honored to be the first one he called. We had a ball with many commercials for Hartford area sponsors, and I was able to get many of the announcers we knew to work with him as well.

For now, all best to you.

Dick Fague (Fay)



Thursday, February 28, 2002, 5:38:16PM

OK Ed...I do have a DRC memory. In September of 1967, I was doing mid-day on AM and I had received a letter that day from my fiance Heidi (we married 11/11/67). (20 years then kaput) Dumb old me...I left the letter in the jock booth....Joey came on that night, found the letter and read EVERY WORD ON THE AIR...all the "I love you"...."can't wait till we can do that again"..."kiss me there again"...blah blah blah........I was embarrassed...I thought about becoming a monk...then I thought...nah...I can handle. But, Joey, you still owe me payment for the material.

Jim Peters (e-mail)



Friday, February 22, 2002, 7:24:00PM

Your WDRC site qualifies you for a PHD, Dr.! You obviously spent buku hours putting this all together and I'm frankly amazed. To fill in the blanks on my listing...my 'prior' was WLAN, Lancaster, PA---and I'm currently a board-certified hearing aid specialist in Orlando, FL. WHAT??? Best to you,

Jim Peters (e-mail)



Tuesday, February 12, 2002, 8:31:34PM

For those of you who haven't heard, Johnny Michaels just passed away a few days ago at the age of sixty-Not only did he work at the Big D,but he spent some time in New York City,most notably on WOR-FM,WMCA,& WCBS-FM-As a matter of fact,he was the first DJ to launch the oldies format at CBS-FM in July of 1972-I believe the very first oldie played that day was "Donna The Prima Donna" by Dion.

Scott Burton, Bridgeport, CT (e-mail)

Ed's note: We've cleared this up - WDRC's Johnny Michaels is alive and well; click here for the explanation.



Saturday, February 9, 2002, 6:24:12PM

Dear friends:

I thought you'd like to know that one of the cuts on your jingle page, the second selection that is labeled "unknown" is actually one produced by the station and features a local girl on vocal. Her name was Ernestine. She was being promoted by Charlie and Bertha as an upcoming star. I am certain of this.

Young Alley Cats

Enclosed is a photo of a band (click photo for enlargement) I played with in 1966 when we performed at the Bushnell at the BIG D BIG SHOW on June 14th. In addition to the acts listed on your web site that show also included "the Shags", "Reparata and the Delrons" and us "the Alley Cats". we played our song "Since she's been gone"as well as a few others. We were closely associated with Sandy Beach and he was instrumental in helping us get air play.

I have many clear recolections from those early days if you have any questions. What a Great web site.

Brian Bentley (e-mail)



Friday, February 8, 2002, 8:09:34AM

Bill Diehl of ABC just put me on to the WDRC site. Gads. Hardly recognize the kid with the big ears from decades ago.

For update purposes, if you're interested, I worked at WNEW after I left WDRC (ending up as news director) then to managing editor at ABC Network Radio and then as Editorial Producer/Senior Writer for World News Tonight with Peter Jennings. Left that in 1999. Have now picked up my trumpet (a cornet, actually) again and play jazz in various clubs in New York and New Jersey.

Mike Stein (e-mail)



Monday, January 28, 2002, 3:14:40PM

Good news they ARE playing music!

Dr Joy Brown ran from 10am till 1pm and the Dollans ran till 3 pm. Music is now on hosted by the news guy Dan Lovallo. It seems to be the best of everything format although they don't seem to be calling it that.

More as I listen some more. Its good to hear music, if I wanted to hear talk I could listen to 1080.

Scott (e-mail)



Monday, January 28, 2002, 3:13:40PM


The WDRC AM Radio Network - WDRC AM 1360, WSNG AM 610, WWCO AM 1240, and WMMW AM 1470 has changed formats as of today January 28.

Aside from Brad Davis, WDRC AM 1360 has dropped all local programming. WDRC is now running talk from the WOR Radio Network, which is owned by WDRC's parent company Buckley Radio.

Big Band And Adult Standards Music can still be heard at these times: Fred Hall's Swing Thing Saturday 3PM-6PM ...a weekly showcase of the best of Big Band Music.

The Sounds of Sinatra Sunday 11AM-1PM featuring Sid Mark and the best of Sinatra.

Broadway's Biggest Hits for those who love the show tunes, Sunday mornings 9AM-11AM. Big Band Jump with Don Kennedy features more of the best Big Band & Swing Music, Sunday 4PM-6PM.

American Standards by the Sea with your host Dick Robinson, Sunday evenings 6PM-8PM. I do not like this change and have stopped listening to the station. In the meanwhile Jack Carney moves to WDRC-FM, replacing Glenn O'Brien in the 7PM-12AM timeslot.

New Britain Rockcats Baseball and Hartford Hawk's Basketball will continue airing on the four stations along with the Yankees and Naugatuck High School football on 1240 AM only and Torrington High School Football on 610 AM only.

Marc Bramhall, Former WDRC AM Listener (e-mail)



Monday, January 28, 2002, 1:12:48PM

Hi there,

Thanks for the WDRCOBG.COM website, I can't tell you how many memories your site has brought back to me.

I wanted to write you and let you know that as of today WDRC-AM has dropped its "Best of Everything" format and has gone to a talk format, airing shows such as Dr Joy Browne and The Dollans to its airwaves.

To the listeners there was no mention of this format change, as of Friday The Best of Everything was still cruising along.

This change must have been known coming for awhile as the WDRC website has no mention of the Best of Anything format and the only music shows they mention now only air on the weekends.

Again, thanks for the memories!

Scott Greczkowski, Newington, Connecticut (e-mail)



Thursday, January 24, 2002, 10:29:38PM

i did a show in 1965 and 1966 on WHCT -TV in Hartford, CT called Scene 18 with Ron Landry. Do you know where he is today? Thank you, great to see the program guide from Big D way back when

Josh Frey (e-mail)

Ed's reply: Click here!



Friday, January 17, 2002, 11:31:32PM

i see much improvment here thank you for the jingles and station history. growing up in harwinton ct and believing this station was god and still is ,it is great to see this tribute to conn's version of wabc or wrko. this to me was the best as wpop was far 2nd. it is great to relive all the fun stuff as i was fortunate to see the station at 750 main twice. then it went back to nlue hills ave.i often tell my wife about it as when we come back to ct to visit wdrc fm is on my car radio ,but to here oldies now and when they were current in the 60's is a different thing, this site takes me back to that time, and it feels so good to think i am 14 and not soon to be 50 as i will 6/22/02 thank you,

dave lascko, elkton, maryland (e-mail)



Tuesday, January 15, 2002, 8:36:48PM


I stumbled upon your web site by accident this evening. What a find!! Many thanks for all the memories you brought back. I grew up with "DRC" thru the sixties & seventies. My first & favorite memories are when I got my first 8 tranistor radio at the age of ten. Listening to "The Raynor Ray", Ron Landry's "Snorkasaurus", Dickie Robinson (when the station was only AM & signed off at 1 a.m., Bob Craig, "The Prince" Dick Mcdonough, & so many others. The jingles are a great touch, & so are the music surveys (I remember the Hartford Courant was the only paper the surveys were published in). Again, thank you. It's a great piece of work & is now included in my favorites list.

Lemonal (e-mail)



Monday, January 14, 2002, 6:52:02PM

Hi Ed -

I'd appreciate any info you or other fans have on where to reach Brian Dow, who worked at DRC and at WBIS in Bristol. We're former coworkers who have been trying to find him for ages!

Thanks, Laura and Bob Canno (e-mail)

Ed's reply: Visitors...can anybody help?



Wednesday, January 9, 2002, 5:27:02PM

Dear Ed:

Do you have any info in the group The Twilights from the 60's and 70's. I am looking for band name members ... met someone recently who was a part of this group and didn't write down his name, so, of course, it now escapes me. Thanks for any help.

Karen Fritze (e-mail)

Ed's reply: Visitors...can anybody help Karen?



Monday, December 24, 2001, 5:27:02PM





Bob O'Brien (e-mail)



Sunday, December 23, 2001, 6:46:12AM

just a memory while i was at camp sokol in east haddam while hiking and camping along with my 8 transistor radio, picking up you a station on am. made that a very memorable summer with the best music that the sixties had to offer, i will always remember wdrc that time thanks again.

paul j. votlucka (e-mail)



Saturday, December 22, 2001, 11:53:02PM

Hi - my name is Richard Brukner and I wanted to let you know how much I enjoyed your WDRC web site. I found your page after searching online for info on the Wildweeds. I'm doing some research on the band and was wondering if you could point me toward people in the radio field that might be able to help me out with recollections, perspective and maybe even photos or memorabilia.

Looking forward to hearing back,

Richard (e-mail)



Sunday, December 2, 2001, 8:13:22AM


Walt Pinto told me about your website and I've visited it and have been blown away! The voluminous 'DRC history brings back many fond memories. Your profile on Judd Otis reminds me of his first night as an enrollee at the Connecticut School of Broadcasting. I wasn't sure that he'd benefit from the classroom structure, but I was POSITIVE that he had all the makings of an exceptional on-air personality. His one-minute ad-libbed biography (required of all students) was absolutely outstanding. It had everyone in the classroom spellbound and received a round of applause when he ended (exactly 60-seconds later!). The applause -- and his exact timing -- were unique occurrences. Judd proved to be just as I expected (a funny, talented guy) and, when he was at WRCQ, he got arrested during a verbal encounter with some guys from WTIC-FM who tried to crash a live remote tied to a "roll back the prices" promotion at a gas station in Glastonbury. Unfortunately, the local cops wouldn't allow him to continue his show from the jail cell -- but THAT would have been terrific!

Catching-up on the whereabouts of Long John Wade also makes your website special. With the death of George Harrison a few days ago, we should all be reminded that Long John was the true "5th Beatle" (NOT Murray, The K). John was a key member of their famous tour and remained in touch with them ever after. I'm sorry to say that I've lost touch with John, but am glad to learn that he's happily retired on Cape Cod.

And: on the subject of the immortal Charlie Parker. During his later years he became a summertime weekend sun-bather at Crescent Beach in Niantic, where I had a cottage. We'd sit together and chat and he always had something interesting to say about radio. It was his life and had treated him well -- 'til near the end. His son, Steve, still shows up there occasionally and Charlie would be proud to know that Steve is very much like him: full of energy, laughter, and enthusiasm. Your viewers might get a kick of knowing that Charlie's funeral was a hoot, too! George McCannon III strummed a guitar during the services and sang repeated verses of "Forever In Blue Jeans" prior to Brad Davis's heartfelt eulogy. It was truly a "Big D" production...

Maybe this info will inspire other viewers to send along more notes. There's so many stories to tell! I'll probably become a regular on-line viewer, 'cuz your stuff is so interesting. Thanks for it -- and to YOU, for doing such a great job.

Bill Hennessey (e-mail)



Wednesday, November 28, 2001, 9:42:32PM

Your WDRC OBG site is great. Many thanks for putting it on the web.

Do you have any information about floorplans of WDRC studios at 11 Asylum Street, 1930-36, and 750 Main Street, 1936-1954; or at the New Haven locations?

WCCC moved to 11 Asylum and was there for some years. There was a fire around August 1975. I don't know if the studios were the same ones as WDRC - had those not been torn out - or if CCC was even on the same floor as DRC had been. I came across some articles on microfilm of the Hartford papers concerning WDRC's move from New Haven. There was a big program to kick off the station's move...CBS radio had a program in honor of the occasion.

Take care and happy holidays,

Macandrew (e-mail)

Ed's reply: These are great questions! While we have seen no floor plans of New Haven or Asylum Street, we do have a page of WDRC facilities in 1936 at 750 Main Street. Does anyone know if WCCC occupied WDRC's former space?



Tuesday, November 27, 2001, 8:13:34AM

Hi Ed:

Your site is very well done, congratulations.

I grew up in Hartford county, DRC and WPOP were my staples during my formative years. I pestered many legendary drc and pop jocks on weekends or at remotes, long before I could drive. My dad would drop me off and pick me up. Actually it was easier to "hang around" at WPOP than DRC, so I spent many weekends there and would visit while Ken Griffin, Joey Reynolds, and many others did their shows. Was big fan of them and Dick Robinson, Sandy Beach, Scotty Morgan, lots more. Collected all the playlists, but sadly, don't have them anymore.

I began getting paid in radio at age 13 at Torrington's WTOR (ironically, this is now WSNG which operates with DRC-AM, WMMM-AM and WWCO-AM across the hall from DRC-FM!) at 19 I was a studio engineer (board op) at woth WABC and WPLJ in New York City, running the controls for Dan Ingram, Cousin Brucie, Harry Harrison, Ron Lundy, Chuck Leonard, Johnny Donovan, Pat St. John, Jim Kerr, Tony Pigg, Howard Cosell, and many others. After a few on-air and PD stints, I went on to consult radio stations nationwide for 11 years, and nowadays besides handling PR and marketing at RCS (home of Selector music scheduling) I write for two national trade magazines, Radio Ink and Talkers.

See you later, and thanks, Ed. Keep up the great work.

Tom Zarecki (e-mail)



Monday, November 19, 2001, 4:12:02PM


Someone emailed me your site and it's the most thrilling thing I've come across on the web since classmates.com. My days as Bob Marx began on Big "D" after meeting Steve Parker at the beach about six months after slamming the door on Lee Manson at 91Q! He got me an audition with "Doc" Overson thru his dad, the original Charlie Parker. I began as a PM drive summer replacement for Ed Mitchell and then moved into the permanent slot in August of '75...I guess I was the sole reason Charlie won Medium Market Program Director or the year! What a thrill working the FM side while "The Prince", Dick McDonough worked the AM side with Lon Landis in the middle at 750 Main street.

One of my most vivid memories was MC'ing the Harry Chapin concert in Springfield where I rode in an old English taxi cab to pick up our contest winners and then met Harry and his guitar at Bradley International before heading over to the civic center. What a wild ride that was, complete with police escort!! Harry was a friend of 'DRC's and a great human being.

It was I who had the distinction of working the FM side on Blue Hills Ave when Len Thomas was summarily dismissed by Dick Korsen after uttering the infamous #*&$#*%@+$ on "live" mic just minutes after relieving Brad. You should've heard the phone response!

The 8 years I spent at 'DRC fulfilled a childhood fantasy because I grew up idolizing the POP Goodguys, and the voices on The Big "Drag". My junior High school (Slade/New Britain), even won a dance with Joey Reynolds as DJ. I also taught at the Ct. School Of Broadcasting for a few years for Dickie Robinson.

Of course, I could write volumes from my recollections, but then it wouldn't fit in a comfortable talk-up and Charlie would never stand for that. I actually left 'DRC because I wanted to do Sportscasting full-time and Dick K wanted me to focus solely on doing the mid-day show. I then bought a share of a Southington Auto Store where I stayed until heading south to Vero Beach and my own little corner of paradise. May God Bless you for the great work. I absolutely love it!

Bart Mazzarella (Bob Marx), WSCF FM Christian FM (e-mail)



Tuesday, November 13, 2001, 3:57:20PM


Was just checking out your site & would love to be included with your other personalities. Don't know if P/T jocks are part of your list, but if so i worked on Blue Hills Ave for a period of time in the early 90's. Frank Holler was PD at the time. It was a great gig for me, but then moved on to work F/T in Vermont as PD of what was then an AC. Now I do mornings here as part of our Adult CHR format and still program the station (WZRT-FM). Click on personalities & check us out.

Ed Kelly, Z97 Radio...Rutland, VT.



Saturday, November 10, 2001, 9:24:28PM

I found this website by accident, I was looking for something for my father for Christmas. I was born and raised in East Hartford and now resided in Lakeland, Florida with my husband and stepson, I grew up with WDRC and listen to it until I moved to Houston in 79. I still have one of the 45 that I won from the station. I can not hear the station due to an programming problem my husband can not fix, but in my mind I can hear the station as it was back then. Thank you for reading the letter.

Donna M. Johnson (e-mail)



Saturday, November 10, 2001, via U.S. Mail

Dear Ed,

Just a quick note to thank you for Kurt's bio on the internet.

The great fun and treasured memories of WDRC came flooding back. Seeing the pictures of Jerry Bishop & Val, Ron Landry, and all the great people Kurt worked with. The laughter never stopped when they got together. The walls would rock.

Thanks again.


Jean Russell (wife of Kurt Russell)



Wednesday, October 24, 2001, 3:38:08PM


Hello from one of the Engineers who loved your work. I haven't talked to you in ages!! I remember we used to have long talks in the 'DRC control room. (You made the Halloween tape consisting of screams, chains rattling, and moans). I still have that tape!! I was just looking at your list of Engineers who were at the big D, and I think that the engineer you listed as 'John Morris' should be changed to 'Kevin Morris', or, ( if John Morris is who you thought), then add Kevin to the list. Also, add to the list the following names: George Dombrowski; Lee Steele; Bobby Krowka; and Barry Grant, (remember, he was the overnight engineer). If I can think of anyone else, I'll e-mail you.

John "the duke "Landry (e-mail)



Sunday, October 21, 2001, 2:40:14AM

Great job on the wdrc website!!

I really enjoyed the pages of former dj's - finally seeing what Dick McDonough, Gary DeGraide, Barry Grant etc. looked like... and lots of good history.

My personal wdrc thing has been tracking down data from the weekly top 40 lists from the '70-'73 period. Specifically what songs debuted on the wdrc chart each week. So far I've had to rely on microfilm (the Hartford Courant would publish wdrc's top 40 chart every Monday) and haven't gotten too far. Those top 40 lists would be a great addition to your website - well, for me, anyway!

Thanks, and keep up the good work.

Rich Feinberg Boston, MA (e-mail)



Friday, October 19, 2001, 9:34:20PM

Dear Mr. Brouder,

My daughter's middle school language arts teacher is from Hartford and a product of WDRC's broadcasting school. Talking with him, I was reminded of my father's tenure with WDRC in the late 1930's. My father, Ray Barrett, left WDRC to enter the Army Air Corps in 1941.

I looked at the picture of the flood coverage for quite a while when I first found your site. I do believe it is my father in the headphones because I spent many long evenings listening to the stories about that flood and how important it was to cover it. I believe there were massive sandbagging efforts to try to stem the flow of water.

After his discharge, he went to work in New York for WEAF, then WNBC and NBC-TV where he did live TV as an actor (Robert Montgomery Hour, etc.)and ultimately became a staff announcer. He retired from NBC in 1967 and enjoyed 5 years of retirement in Ft. Lauderdale, Florida doing some commercials, movies and relaxing. In his later years at NBC, his last great challenge was doing 4 hours of live radio when the Northeast was hit with the Great Blackout of 1965.

I've enjoyed visiting your website. Thanks for the memories.

Deborah Barrett Hatic
Coral Springs, Florida (e-mail)



Monday, October 15, 2001, 10:06:02PM


I'm the daughter of Kurt Russell, one of your disc jockeys from 1962. I first want to say how thrilled I and my family are that you have his name and biography listed. Its so heartwarming that he is remembered.

One tiny thing though. While most everything is correct, for the sake of accuracy, he wasn't a co-owner of WRIV, but he had returned there after many years in radio, it was one of the first stations he worked at. Also, he worked extensively at WIND in Chicago, just before WMAQ.

Thats all, Sorry to be nit picky, but since you were good enough to get most of it right, we thought you'd like to have proper documentation.

Thank you again, his listing probably means little to anyone other than us, but it sure means a lot to us.

Jennett Meriden Russell (e-mail)



Saturday, October 13, 2001, 11:08:06PM

I just thought I would drop you a few notes - you have a great website -keep up the good work! Back in the late sixties is when I did most of my listening of DRC, my favorite deejays back then were Sandy Beach and both Wade brothers. Are there any airchecks longer than 30 seconds for these individuals,and if so will you ever put them on the website?

Don Chepurna (e-mail)

Ed's reply: Hundreds of WDRC and WPOP airchecks are available on the Man From Mars web site.



Wednesday, October 10, 2001, 5:58:08PM

Hi Ed...

I really don't have any photos from my WDRC days. No aircheck either. Wish I did. I am extremely impressed with your project. I have told several people in the Hartford area about it so they can enjoy it as well. Great job!!! Also...I spent quite a bit of time going through the personality pages. I was friendly with Aaron Shepard even before my WDRC days. I noticed you said he is retired and living in Rochester, N.Y. I tried to find his address or e-mail on the internet. No luck. Any idea where he is?

Elliott Booth (e-mail)



Saturday, September 29, 2001, 6:07:30AM

Dear Ed;

First of all, you have an incredable web site. I can actually hear some of the Big-D jingles in my head when I'm logged on. I've passed this address to my classmates of the New Britain High School class of 66. They'll love it. I was a big Ron Landry fan but really got into the news. For a high school kid, that was unusual. I later went on to work in radio as a jock in Florida, Idaho and Massachusetts. Eventually, I stopped "playing the hits" and settled down into news. I am currently News Director for WUPE-FM and WUHN-AM in Pittsfield, MA.

I remember rushing to the phone and calling WDRC during the "name it and claim it" contests. Got pretty good at it. Also remembering riding my bike from New Britain to the WDRC studios on Blue Hills Avenue. Let me tell you, that was a ride. All to claim a 45-rpm record. Once, a friend and I biked to the Big-D to collect our prizes. We never really told our parents where we were going. Both of us were so tired when we got there, one of the office people offered to call our parents to come get us. My dad did and wanted to know what the hell we were doing biking to Bloomfield. "To pick up my record" I would say. I think I was 14 at the time. I think I saw "Lovely Bertha Lovely" (as Ron Landry described her) on one of my rides to the Big-D but I was never certain. Keep up the good work on the site and if you've ever in Western Massachusetts, stop by the studios.

Larry Kratka, Pittsfield, MA (e-mail)



Wednesday, September 19, 2001, 8:34:56AM

Dear Ed,

My name is Beth Brundage -- I am a former employee of WDRC. If you are interested in replacing the question mark in the "Today Section" of my bio, I would like to provide updated information for you.

After receiving my Master's Degree at Boston University in International Relations and International Communications, I worked as a reporter and anchor in television news for 5 years. I now own my own production company and have been producing documentaries for PBS for the past 3 years. I am also an adjunct professor at Suffolk University in Boston and American University Paris.

Hope everyone at the "Big D" is doing well.

Best Wishes,

Beth (Brundage) Murphy (e-mail)



Saturday, September 8, 2001, 9:28:24AM

i enjoyed reading the station's history which was informative.i was very impressed with the history of station jingles.i used to be ajingle collector so the history was welcome. good luck!

doug fulton (e-mail)

Ed's reply: Doug: Glad to have you visit from the UK! If you like jingles, perhaps you'll like our new WPOP jingle page.

Feedback Index
Man From Mars site WPOP site return to top home